Engineering is defined as the art of combining science and math in order to design and develop structures, processes and materials in order to solve problems. Within engineering, there are specific concentrations which relate to a variety of branches including aerospace, agricultural, chemical, civil, biomedical, electrical, environmental and mechanical. The National Science Foundation reports that the largest growing fields in engineering are civil, industrial, electrical and mechanical.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Engineers: Career and expected outcome information on engineering as a career provided by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Engineering.com: Resource on everything related to engineering.
- Discover Engineering: Interactive resource to learn about engineering as provided by the National Engineers Week Foundation.
- Native Access: Introduction to Types of Engineering: List with detailed descriptions on the different types of engineering.
History of Engineering
- Creating Technology: History of Engineering: Brief information on engineering before the industrial and scientific revolutions.
- Britannica: History of Engineering: Encyclopedia insert about the history of engineering.
- The Library of Congress: Engineering in History: List of references that lead towards the history of engineering.
Main Branches of Engineering
- The Feasibility of an Aerospace Engineering Career: In-depth research paper on the feasibility of aerospace engineering as a career.
- Environmental Education for Kids: Chemical Engineer: Information for kids on chemical engineering as a career.
- University of Utah: Chemical Engineering Careers: An in-depth explanation of what a chemical engineer is and what their job responsibilities include.
- College Grad: Chemical Engineers: Career information for chemical engineers including the nature of the work, job outlook and earnings.
- Mathematical Association of America: Civil Engineering: Information on civil engineering including projecting the problems and calculating solutions.
- Your Career in the Electrical Engineering: Information on a career in electrical, electronics and computer engineering fields.
- Try Engineering: Electrical Engineering: Information on a career as an electrical engineer and what type of education is needed.
- ASCE – The website of the American Society of Civil Engineers, includes educational information as well as membership and community information.
- AAEE – The website of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers with information on careers in the field and other resources.
- ASME – The website of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers with educational and career information.
- The Open Mechanical Engineering Journal: Resource to view mechanical engineering journals.
- Engineering Methodology: PDF document on a lecture on engineering methodology.
- Systems Engineering Methodology: List of resources to various different methodologies on systems engineering.
- U.S. News and World Report: Engineering Methodology: Article on engineering methodology from the U.S. News and World Report.
- Plant Genetic Engineering – Methodology: Descriptive information on the methodology of the genetic engineering of a plant.